Having graduated from Gupton Jones College of Embalming in 1938 where Cameron Sauls graduated from in 1928, L. Martin Sauls, Jr. and his wife Reba Valentine Sauls became the owners and operators of the funeral home and changed the name to Sauls Funeral Home. They moved the funeral home from the hardware store, which later became K. B. Grocery and then Charlie's Auto Parts, into a hotel owned by the Livingstons located on the east side of U.S. 17 just north of Main Street. In 1964, the Sauls purchased and moved the funeral home to the C. E. Perry house on Adams Avenue where it remains today.
L. Martin Sauls, Jr. affectionately known as "Big Martin", and his wife, Reba Valentine Sauls, operated the funeral home, the county ambulance service and a furniture store. Martin and Reba were the proud parents of three children, L. Martin Sauls, III lovingly nicknamed, "Little Martin", Anne Valentine Sauls, and the oldest who died at birth.
Following in his father's footsteps, L. Martin Sauls, Jr. became an active member of the Ridgeland Baptist Church where he served as deacon and served on the building committee which constructed the sanctuary that burned on the days after Christmas in 1995. He was also a past master of American Lodge #98 and member of the Omar Shrine Temple, served as Chairman of the School Board when the Ridgeland High School was built and was a member of the Board of Directors for the Bank of Ridgeland. In addition, he served on the Board of Directors at the time the Ridgeland Hospital was being built.